The Tualatin Valley Rock and Gem Club was created solely and exclusively for educational and scientific purposes with a focus on the natural earth sciences. We offer educational resources, field trips, meeting programs and the opportunity to grow your knowledge in this area. Not only are we rockhounds, but we are lapidaries, jewelers, faceters, silversmiths, artists, fossil hunters and many other things.
Our members offer a wide range of skills and expertise and we come together to share that knowledge with each other and with you. Come and join us and enjoy the fascinating world of rocks, minerals, fossils and more.
If you are interested in learning about the natural world around you and want more like-minded people in your circle of friends, consider yourself invited to come to a meeting or contact us for more information.
Meetings are held at the Forest Grove Senior Center (map), 2037 Douglas St, Forest Grove Oregon on the second and fourth Thursday of the month at 7:30 P.M. There is no meeting in December. Visitors are always welcome!
Our mailing address is Tualatin Valley Gem Club, PO Box 641, Forest Grove Oregon 97116
General Club Objectives
To promote popular interest and education in the various earth sciences, and in particular the subjects of Geology, Mineralogy, Paleontology, and Lapidary as well as other related subjects, and to sponsor and provide means of coordinating the work and efforts of all persons interested therein.
2016 Club Leadership
The following are the Tualatin Valley Rock and Gem Club officers, directors, and standing committee chairs for 2016.
- President: Mitch Metcalf
- Vice President: Rose Jackson
- Treasurer: Walter Butler
- Secretary: Dorothy Snook
- Director: Molly Brady
- Director: Julian Gray
- Director: Jeff Payne
- Dealer Chair: Rose Jackson
- Club Picnic: OPEN
- Club Sales: Beverly Berkholtz
- Greeter/Door Prizes: Vivian Howard
- Meeting Display Table: Cliff Vanderzanden
- NFMS Director: Mitch Metcalf
- NFMS Delegate: Vivian Howard
- Field Trips: OPEN
- Historian: Bev Berkholtz
- Membership: Marcia Rutledge and Dorothy Snook
- Meeting Refreshments: Molly Brady
- Newsletter: Linda Harvey
- Portland Regional Club Advisors: Mitch Metcalf and Julian Gray
- Programs: Julian Gray
- Publicity: Susan Schmidlin
- Remote Displays: Tom Wilson
- Show Chair: Rose Jackson
- Show Chair Assistant: OPEN
- Stamp Program: Rose Jackson
- Sunshine: Dorothy Snook
- Webmasters: Walt Butler, Julian Gray, Mitch Metcalf
History of the Tualatin Valley Rock and Gem Club
In 1957 Richard and Helen Rice (founders of the Rice Northwest Museum of Rocks and Minerals), Don and Lee Kendall, George and LaVerne Williams, and a number of other rockhounds in Washington County, Oregon, decided it would be a good idea to have a rock club in Forest Grove, Oregon. The Tualatin Valley Rock and Gem Club (TVRGC) was established.
The Tualatin Valley Rock and Gem Club of Forest Grove, Oregon, is affiliated with:
- Rice Northwest Rock and Mineral Museum
- American Federation of Mineralogical Societies
- Northwest Federation Mineralogical Society